Our building was constructed in 1939/1940 – was county owned and included judge’s chambers, court room, jury deliberation room, justice court clerk, police protection district office, and two jail cells.
1942: Housed OPA (Office of Price Administration) which distributed ration stamps.
1950: Addition of two more jail cells another restroom, police chief office, furnace room.
1961: City of Weed incorporates and the building was deeded to the City and used as the South County Justice Court, City Clerk and Weed Police Department.
1984: The Weed Historic Lumbertown Museum is incorporated.
1985: The City (Council) approves the building for the Museum. Renovation is started by adding outside walls and a new gabled roof.
1987: Museum opens to the public one day a week starting June 7.
1990: Museum is open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting July 7.
1991: Construction of a new 40’ x 60’ addition funded in part by the McConnell Foundation of of Redding, CA.
1992: Museum opens seven days a week from Memorial Day through the end of September.
2020: Museum continues to be open to the public six days a week from Memorial Day weekend through the end of September (Closed on Tuesdays.)
The Museum continues to operate in part by an endowment from the Zimmerman Foundation, Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) collected by the City, donations from visitors, and annual historical society memberships.
Born September 18, 1842 to Abner and Sarah Weed in Dixmont, Penobscot County, Maine. He married Rachael Cunningham in 1865 and moved west. After farming in Iowa, they moved to the Truckee, California area, and then in 1869 to the Sisson (Mt. Shasta) area. He purchased Maxwell's mill near the north slope of Black Butte. In 1900 he went a few miles north and purchased the Eddy and Decker land which became today's mill site.
Original Board Members
Barbara Carden, Jeannine Hendrickson, Allen Jones, Mary Mazzei, Bonnie Schumacher, Fred Sterchi, Darrell Williams, Elmer Zimmerman, Roger Zwanziger
Current Board Members
(elected for two year terms)
Terry Dalin, Gary Dohrn, Shirley Dutt, Darin Quigley, Paula Rossetto, Deborah Salvestrin, Paul Shelton, Andrew Tavalero, Joanie Zarzynski
Dedicated Board Members, circa 2013
Officers of the Board
President: Shirley Dutt, Vice President: Darin Quigley, Finance Officer: Terry Dalin, Secretary: Deborah Salvestrin